Uses for GLOW Stones USA products are as varied as your imagination. Whether your focus is on the indoors or outdoors, our GLOW will make your project more amazing! Consider the variety of applications possible for our products, create your GLOW masterpiece, and sit back and enjoy them for the next 20 years. It’s just that simple.
The products are considered to be ambient light, will not ruin your night vision, and cannot compete with street lights, etc. They are intended for use in the dark, although they are visible in dim-light situations for about the first hour, particularly if they have been exposed to sunlight. Typical outdoor uses would include pathways, driveways, landscape feature highlights, fountains, swimming pools, etc. The possibilities are endless! They are also wonderful for indoor uses of all sorts, including crafts, jewelry, potted plants, fresh cut flower vases, and light switches, to name a few.
GLOW Stones USA products need two things: light so they can ‘charge’ and darkness so you can see their GLOW. If you have a project that can offer these two things, then you have found what you need to make your project amazing! It is important to note that a greater exposure to light will result in a stronger glow. Similarly, the stones will appear to have stronger glow in a darker area.
We strongly recommend that you try our samples packs, this will eliminate all confusion about the product and allow you to try it the actually setting in which you plan to use the product.
All of our products are made from either plastic or glass/ceramic. For the most part the products can be used interchangeably but for certain projects one is better suited than the other. The plastic products are molded, so the same shapes will be repeated over and over. In general the plastics products offer better value as they are less dense than the glass and thus get more pieces per pound. The glass stones better mimic natural stones as they are not molded, so their exact shape and size are always unique. Although our glass products come in 3 different glow colors, they all look the same, a cloudy white with greenish tint, during the day. The plastic stones do look different in their day and glow colors, as such our plastic stones are listed with both their day and glow colors, whereas the glass stones are only listed by their glow colors.
- Glow in the Dark, Reinvented – The new luminescent material in our Glowstone products is a multi-activated, highly efficient powder cultivated from the earth that enables light-storing with a long afterglow.( made of Alkaline earth metal aluminate oxide. Europium doped.)
- Bright – The brightness and duration of the luminescent material we use is more than 10 times brighter than traditional ZnS (zinc sulfide) luminous material.
- Efficient – With exposure to daylight or lamplight for about 2 hours, the Glowstone products can maintain its afterglow in the dark for about 10-12 hours.
- Waterproof – Expert engineering has enabled excellent water resistance compared to the common ordinary aluminate photo luminescent or afterglow pigments.
- Eco-Friendly – All Glowstone products are non-radioactive, non-toxic and environmentally friendly.
- Power Saving Solar Power – All Glowstone products require no electricity and thus no wires, no power supply and no batteries. This saves natural resources and is another eco-friendly benefit.
Specifications (for glowing glass)
|Recycled glass and luminescent – Made in China
|Tumbled glass 4 sizes
Small/ Chips: less than 3/16 (under 5mm)
Medium: About 1080-1150 pieces per pound Between 3/16” and 3/8” at longest point (5-8mm)
Large: About 520-540 pieces per pound Between 3/8″ and 1-1/4″ at longest point(8-15mm)
Extra-large: About 30-40 Stones per pound Between 1″ and 2-1/2″ at longest point (20-40mm).
The droplets are uniform in size, they are flat on the bottom and curved on the top.
|Small: Approximately 488 pieces per pound. up to 3/8″ (up to 10mm)
Medium: Approximately 80 pieces per pound
3/4″ and 1-1/2″ at longest point (20-35mm)
Large: Approximately 75 pieces per pound Between 1-1/2″ and 1-7/8″ at longest point(35-45mm)
|Excellent, can be used in underwater applications
|Over 10 hours with 2 hours of daylight
|Over 20 years
Specifications (for plastic glowing pebbles)
The plastic products come in 3 styles, Classic, River, and Cobble. Each style is available in upto 7 colors. The glass stoned come in 4 different sizes, the smallest are called Chips, similar in size to a crushed potato chip. The next 3 sizes are medium, large and x-large. These 3 products undergo a tumbling process to remove all the sharp edges.
|Synthetic resin (PS, PP, etc.) and luminescent – Made in China
|Plastic Classic Stones
|Molded plastic in 4 shapes. At 1 Pound, this Single Pack is a great size to give small projects a beautiful glow!
Approx. 135 pcs/lb.
Length/ width/ Height
1-1/16″ x 5/8″ x 7/16″ 1-3/16″ x 3/4″ x 1/2″ 1-1/16″ x 3/4″ x 3/8″ 7/8″ x 3/4″ x 3/8″
|Plastic Cobble Stones
|Approx. 64 Pcs/lb
Length/Width/Height 1-3/4″ x 1-5/16″ x 1/4″ All three shapes, at their longest measures per side.
Plastic River Stones
Plastic River Glow Stones contain approximately 57 pcs/lb. There glow stones are similar in shape to river stones, and are comprised of a mix of the stones in the following 4 sizes.
1″ x 1″x 1/4″
1-1/2″ x 1-1/8″ x 3/8″
1-5/8″ x 1″ x 3/8″
1-1/2″ x 1″ x 1/2″
|Excellent, can be used in underwater applications
|Over 10 hours with 2 hours of daylight
|Over 20 years
|What kind of light works best to charge the glow pebbles?
|Sunlight! But, if that is at a minimum, then various artificial lights work just great as well, i.e. black light, fluorescent and incandescent lighting
|Is the glow from the pebbles the same as from solar powered garden lights?
|No. glowstones lighting is considered ambient light. They will light your way in dark conditions but don’t compete with regular lighted conditions (your eye compensates for the ‘brighter’ object). That said, glowstones doesn’t ruin your night vision. It also lasts a lot longer than most solar garden lights.
|What makes them glow?
|A chemical element called Strontium Aluminate. An activator, Europium, is added to make the Strontium Aluminate a photo phosphorescence (glow).
|Is it safe?
|It is both biologically and chemically inert, so safe for home use.
|Other Interesting bits of Info
|Previous ‘glow in the dark’ products where made with zinc suphide, which are only useful for 35-45 minutes. Strontium aluminate afterglow can be visible up to 12 hours!.
The products will demonstrate their glow-in-the-dark characteristics after about 5-10 minutes of light exposure. With about 2 hours of exposure to sunlight they will glow for about 10-12 hours of darkness. Below is a chart that demonstrates the product’s typical performance.
GLOW Stones USA products last about 20 years.
This data was compiled using laboratory tests to determine the strength of the glow. Please note that the glow does diminish with time. A noticeable change in glow strength will be seen within 60 minutes.
The pictures below represent the level of density we use to calculate needed pounds of product for your project. This is intended as a starting point. You may want to adjust for more or less coverage.
To figure the square footage for your project:
- Multiply the width of one side, in feet, times the length of one side, in feet, of your driveway or space. This is your needed square footage.
- Divide your square feet by 16 (the level of coverage in the pictures above. This is your needed pounds.
- If you desire some or all of your areas to be more or less dense, figure accordingly.
- Example: 20’x40′ driveway = 800 sq. ft. divided by 16 = 800/16 = 50 lbs. = discount (Discounts start at 18 lbs. Contact us for the latest prices.)
- This density of coverage will provide you with about 8 points of glow per square foot using the plastic Classic Stones; and about 30-40 points of glow using the size Large Tumbled Glass. See pictures above.
All of our products will work in concrete.
Tumbled Glass & Pebbles (high-tumbled glass) … The easiest product because you simply “seed” (toss/sprinkle) them over the top of your troweled concrete, re-trowel lightly to tamp them in, and you’re done because they have no sharp edges. Safe for a muriatic acid clean/scrub after the concrete dries (some concrete installers use this method for their aggregate installations).
Chips, glass… These are also seeded over the concrete like any other aggregate, but because of their sharp edges, we highly recommend grinding them once the concrete is dry to obtain a smooth, flat surface. Safe for a muriatic acid clean/scrub after the concrete. A sealant may be a good idea because the chips may not set deep into the concrete. Choose sealant that will not yellow from sun exposure, as it may affect the performance of the glow. Glass Chips are safe for use with muriatic acid and acid products.
Pigment- Sand or Powder. Ultra bright. These products provide you the option of inserting glow in crevices and other small areas. Also ideal as a topcoat treatment on existing concrete, tile, etc. These products are generally used with liquid carriers(eg. lacquer, sealant, glue, or epoxies). The sand or powder can easily be blown away if not used with a carrier. The sand version is similar in consistency to kosher salt and can ONLY be used with solvent based, clear fluids. DO NOT allow contact with any water or expose to high humidity. Powder is available in both a solvent version to be used with solvent based fluids or as a waterbased version for used in waterbased fluids. Contact us for installation instructions. Available in aqua blue, deep blue, or green glow.
Smooth Stones, Cobbles, and Classic Stones, plastic… Expect to take more time on specific placement and/or trowelling in order to adhere on the flat side, resulting in wide exposure. Do not use acid (muriatic or other) to clean; it will cloud the surface, blocking light absorption.
For loose gravel driveways, the plastic products are best in most situations. Most of the glass product is smaller and heavier, and therefore it will quickly work its way down under the gravel, where the lighter, larger plastic Stones and Cobbles will stay on top. Some maintenance is needed to ensure the placement, as with any other loose aggregate finish.
- The famous driveway is created using our 1” plastic Stones, spread loosely over the top of an existing gravel driveway. Because the Stones are lighter, they tend to stay at the top.
- Asphalt is an application that is not recommended because of the expanding nature of asphalt, and because it will need to be resurfaced regularly.
- Concrete driveways offer a more permanent, maintenance-free solution and can be accomplished with any of the products.
- The light put off by our products is ambient, so it does not affect your night vision.
- All glow-in-the-dark products need darkness; competing light sources will diminish or obscure the glow, and the stones will instead begin to absorb light.
- Our plastic and glass products will hold up to extremes of heat and cold. GLOW Stones USA products are just as durable in the baking sun of Tucson, Arizona as they are in frigid Minnesota winters.